No results

No universities found

Request for consultation

Education System in Poland

Poland is the place where you can earn a diploma that will open up doors to the best companies in Europe, and some of the best in the world. It provides the best conditions for successful higher education studies in a challenging and friendly atmosphere. Today, Poland has over 450 HEIs (Higher Education institutions) to choose from and being a member of the Socrates-Erasmus network, Poland has slowly built a reputation for students looking to get an unforgettable study experience and an internationally recognized degree. While studying in Poland, you have access to the European Union’s study programmes and are able to do internships or traineeships abroad.

When does the academic year at Polish universities start and end?

An academic year in Poland starts in October and ends in June. The academic year is divided into two terms: summer and winter term. The winter term begins at the beginning of October and lasts till the mid- February with 2-weeks Christmas break. The summer term starts in mid-February and lasts till the end of June with a week break for Easter. After each semester students are to take an examination session. After summer term the exams are in June but the whole session lasts till September (retakes, exams conducted before an examination board). Summer holidays lasts from July to the end of September.

Do I need to speak fluent Polish?

You do not need to because universities offer a large variety of study programmes in English. Nevertheless, you may learn Polish either for private everyday use for the time you stay in Poland, or for joining a university course in Polish. Courses of Polish language and culture or survival Polish with orientation programmes are organized by most universities hosting foreign students. This type of course can last for a few weeks just before the academic year or can run throughout the whole semester. In case you choose Polish as the language of your studies, however, you will be required to prove your proficiency in Polish before you start your studies. Foreign students wishing to pursue studies in Polish are required to have a command of Polish, allowing them to understand lectures and other forms of tuition at universities.

Do I need a visa? If so, how do I apply for one?

Poland is a member of the European Union, so EU/EEA students don’t need a VISA. Non EU/EEA students need to arrive in Poland with a student's visa obtained at a Polish Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. They should read about it and start preparing the necessary documents and setting appointments as soon as possible.

Can I transfer from another university?

Please know that transfers are possible after the first year of studies, but there is no specific procedure for that. Please know that each Faculty can have rules for transfer, so the best option for you is to contact a coordinator of the programme that you are interested in directly.

What if I do not receive a visa?

Please know that in that case you may apply for a refund of your fee. Remember that you also have the right to appeal to a Polish Consul in your country.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Send your e-mail and find out the first important events in the life of StudyInUniversity